I found this today...

So This is Home              
Rebekah Geddes


The old, white, Cape Cod on Werkley where I barely lived, piled high
with heavy snow, a fenced yard and a barking four-legged neighbor.
The handicap girl across the street, sweet neighbors, playing at the park
That was New York.


Next came the green grass, rolling hills and millions of flowers.
Routine Sunday walks across bridges, up trees full of bees and sunshine.
We adopted grandparents that held tea parties, sewed Halloween costumes
and treated us as their own.
Daily visits from the sweet tempered, curly haired Airedale Terrier.
But soon we had to leave, that was Kentucky.


With the Buckeyes came a new view, new friends and cousins.
Where soccer began, late night practices followed by Wendy’s crispy chicken sandwiches and Saturday morning games.
Our new lives flourished, we found new walking paths full of streams and woods
But once again it was time to move
That was Ohio.


In the midwest I grew up from a girl to a young woman.
I gained new friends and again, new cousins.
I lost the ball and began to run.
Here we stayed in the country down the gravel drive, lined with fruit trees.
Raspberries and blueberries in the front yard, chickens and goats in the back.
This is Missouri.


From New York to Kentucky
The Ohio
And across the Mississippi to Missouri
My address changed,
Werkley, Old Hartford, Pine Valley and 89th
Cape cod, brick, two-story and stone.
I left friends and family but gained more.
I lived in a number of new houses
But my home always stayed put
Dad, Mom, Sam, Casey, Isabelle, Porter, Victoria and me

THIS is my home!

Comments

Popular Posts