Porter's Good Example

We are at the store & Victoria is acting up.  I had promised them a treat if they were really good.  I was in a hurry & needed to get in & out without any delays... IE temper tantrums, meltdowns, etc!  Well, Victoria didn't do so well.  She lost her treat.  In the car I gave Porter 4 skittles as his treat.  He ate 3 & asked if he could give 1 to Victoria.  Obviously, Victoria had been crying during all this.  Even adding, "I happy now."  I told him it was his decision.  My first instinct was to say "No, she lost her treat.  She doesn't get any." (Justice!)  Well, Porter gave Victoria 1. (Mercy)  This happened 3 more times.  We had 1 more stop.  I gave Victoria another chance to redeem herself... she failed miserably!  Again, I give Porter 4 tiny skittles.  This time he asks if he can give Victoria some.  This time he gives her 2.  The next time I give him 8 to see what he would do.  He gave Victoria 4.  The next time Victoria started crying & screaming she wanted them all.  It started me thinking about life.  Often times I find myself in a predicament & I'm screaming & crying it's not fair, begging for just a little mercy.  However, if I had just listened & obeyed I wouldn't be there in the first place.  Then after receiving a little mercy  I can be so ungrateful... wanting all the skittles right now!  If there was a quote written specifically for me this would be it,
 "Patience is tied very closely to faith in our Heavenly Father.  Actually, when we are unduly impatient, we are suggesting that we now what is best--better than does God.  Or, at least, we are asserting that our timetable is better than His.  We can grow in faith only if we  are willing to wait patiently for God's purposes and patterns to unfold in our lives, on his timetable."
                                              - Neal A. Maxwell
I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father that is patient with me.  For Jesus Christ my Savior that loves me enough to have atoned for all of my mistakes.  For the plan of salvation that allows me to make mistakes and still get my skittles.  

Comments

Ben and Laurie said…
I really like your comment on patience and how it relates to faith. I don't usually tie the two together in mind. I think down inside we all believe God's timetable is the best thing for us, but with our limited perspective, it is really hard to have patience at the moment. At that point, all I'm thinking is that I want it my own way. I have to say I'm like Victoria on that one. Except that I don't like skittles very much...

I hope you don't mind me going back and reading your past posts--it's a great way to get to know you better. But tell me if you don't want me to. Sometimes I feel like I should be asking permission first.

These really are entertaining :)

Popular Posts