Game Time...

Years ago Toys R Us would have buy 1 get 1 free on all their games.  "Planning ahead", I bought tons of games... to someday play with our kids.  Let me tell you, I would not encourage this.  For years I have had a game cupboard full of games pulled apart & thrown back in by too young of players.  A few times I was very tempted to dispose of the games.  However, the time has finally arrived that we are utilizing the bargain games and having a ton of fun.  The bedtimes have worked beautifully.  Victoria, Porter, & Isabelle are tucked in by 7pm.  Then the games begin...  we have had so much fun laughing & giggling each night with Rebekah, Casey, & Samantha.  I have been praying a lot lately that Heavenly Father would help us see the direction He would like us to go as a family.  I've been struggling with simplifying & finding the better & best things to do.  Letting go of the good things is hard.  For example, I would hurry & get everyone tucked into bed then jump on the treadmill.  Exercising is a very good thing; I would put it in the better category.  However, Spending an extra 30-45 min. with the kids each night is best.  The older kids work in the kitchen cleaning up (happily, I might add) while I tuck the younger ones in.  It really has created a greater feeling of unity within our home.  It's given us the opportunity to talk, listen, laugh, even teach once in a while.  Everyone looks forward to bedtime!  Some of the recent favorites are Granny Apples (math game using apple die), Apples to Apples (not one of my favorites), Pictionary, & Greed (total game of chance... Ryan suggested we possibly should not be playing it...?  this is the game that got out of hand & I was called stupid... maybe Ryan's right...?)  It's forced me to prioritize & get my running in earlier... except when the darn treadmill breaks & you have to wait for the part to arrive during the aftermath of an ice storm... it's hard to run outside without killing yourself!  ANYWAY... I am grateful for the answered prayers & direction we are receiving.

Gratitude Journal:
1.   A husband that does laundry
2.  An amazing husband that does laundry  according to my "rules"!!!
3.  A beautiful 50* day that melted lots of ice.  (It's 8pm & still 55*!)
4.  Taking a run OUTSIDE
5.  Good, no... Great kids!

Comments

Kristen said…
I love your gratitude journal!!! And that you were kind enough to rehire your hubby for doing laundry (I love that story). Great ideas for games, it is tricky for us since Rob and Ry share a room, but it is fun to play with the two big kids w/o Ryan messing up the board. We need to do it when he is napping today. Miss you! Also do you want me to do Flat Stanley, we are happy to.
Anonymous said…
Oh, Maddie loved Flat Stanley. Bailey's went to Israel, we had a friend playing basketball there, and Maddie's went to her cousin in TN -- not near as exciting, but better pix.

Wanted to tell you how wonderful you are and how you are so right on track with life. I wish you were around so I could do a better job of emulating you. You are truly one of my heroes!

Kandi

Popular Posts