Parental humiliation 101

Rebekah runs inside yelling for me... the bus driver needs you!  I go out not sure what to expect & get... "Mom, we need to do something about Casey..."  She proceeds to tell me how he is bouncing around seats, constantly has his knees in the aisle(big no-no), & was throwing candy hearts.  So... I head inside, call Casey into our room so Ryan & I can talk with him.  I ask him why the bus driver wanted to talk to me today?  He goes on to tell us (after MUCH prodding) he had to move to the front of the bus today, threw a heart he found on the floor, & kicked a boy!  I guess when the boy was getting off the bus he remarked to another kid wanting to sit up front that, "he couldn't cuz there is a trouble-maker sitting there today."  Referring to Casey.  There was a lot of crying, grunting, turning red... almost purple on Casey's part & a lot of questions from us.  The kicking conversation was a bit comical.  I told him he couldn't just kick people if he didn't like what they said.  He responded with a very defiant, "well, I DID!"  I had to switch gears a bit... fine you CAN but you will also get the consequences.  I told him he had to go apologize.  He responded, "I'm NOT SORRY!"  Again, switching gears... fine he still had to go tell the mom & the boy that he knows he shouldn't have kicked him... no apology just acknowledging he was in the wrong & should have made a better choice.  Long story short, Casey is the only boy on the bus that has to sit with a girl.  It shed a little light on why he is moving around seats as well as having his knees in the aisle.  With that said, there was no leniency given for not following the rules.  We didn't even let on that we sympathized with the poor boy.  I took him over to the boys house... interesting parent another story for another time.  We headed home but took a little detour & sat in the car & talked a bit.  He had to come up with a plan for the bus ride.  After many suggestions & all negative responses I left it at... by the end of the weekend he needed to let me know what he was going to do so he could follow the bus rules.  He decided to print out some algebraic equations, download music to his shuffle, & check out some books on tape.  I really do feel for the kid.  I would hate to be a 4th grade boy sitting with a girl on the bus.  However, it's a great life lesson... you may not like where or who your with but you've got to come up with a plan that works for the situation.  I'm proud of how honest he was about what he did & his feelings... not being sorry.  I stand a little shorter & a bit humiliated.  However, I've told myself... get used to it, there is PLENTY more where THAT came from. 

Comments

Popular Posts