Happy Birthday Dad!

Terry Lee Adamson
March 11, 1944 - September 4, 2006

My favorite memories...
Uncle Remus Stories
Coward of the County still my all time favorite song
Volkswagens
Old torn up jeans
Stained fingers
His laugh
Intensely sensitive head
Slightly off colored jokes
Getting Milk

My dad & I were always a little complicated... definitely a love hate relationship.  My mom always says love and hate are very close emotions.  I started out as his little Pork Chop.  He'd come in after work & I'd be asleep.  Mom would tell him I was sleeping... he'd come whisper & up I'd jump.  I remember as a kid going a lot of places with him... just Dad & me.  Then I became a teenager... with a mouth that had no door.  We both had tempers always bordering on out of control.  Sometimes I think he just wanted a fight... sometimes I know I did.  That's where it got complicated.  For years I wished he would die.  Then one night he did.  I can't explain the emotions I felt the morning my mom called.  I had no idea it would hit me the way it did.  I wish I had done some things differently.  I've learned a lot from the experience... a lot I wish I had learned a tad bit earlier.  That's the funny thing about life.  Hopefully, it's made me less judgemental... and a lot more sympathetic to things I don't know anything about.  He wanted 3 kids... but ended up with 12.  He was a talented beautician... but worked 30 years in a dirty steel mill.  He loved cars... but drove a beater that only ran half the time.  He loved Colorado... but lived his life in Tampico, Illinois.  I was once told I was born of goodly parents... I always questioned that until the past couple years.  I know my dad was a good man that did the very best he could.  I look forward to seeing him again & building that relationship I've always wanted... with my Dad.

Comments

Kristen said…
Wow -- I can see how you have grown in your relationship with your dad. Great post and pictures.

Popular Posts