Failing miserably...

Parenting stinks... I just can't seem to get it right. No matter how much I give, my kids just want more. I shouldn't let it bug me so much but it does. How many times do I have to tuck them in bed before they STAY there!!!! Sometimes wife swap looks like a good idea... maybe then they would appreciate who they have... The other morning I lost it... or should I say the past many days I've lost it. ONE of the mornings I sent everyone to their rooms... ALL DAY. I explained that if no-one could pick up after themselves they would stay in their rooms until I finished cleaning up all the messes. The next day after a lot of fighting they went back to their rooms for another spell... not quite as long this time. The 3rd morning of the same whiny, complaining, unhappy children I went off. "There's nothing to do." was said 1 too many times... NOTHING to do... ATV's in the garage, pool in the backyard, trampoline, fort, sandbox, art supplies, books... wrong thing to say! Part of the problem is that I feel responsible for their happiness. If they aren't happy I feel like it's in part my fault... WRONG! They need to be responsible for making themselves happy. I can create an environment that fosters that but in essence they are the only ones that can make themselves happy... now if I can just internalize that & stop beating myself up about my unhappy kids... because you see it is a miracle when all 6 are happy at the same time. Someone is always unhappy... it's in the numbers. Secondly, I let them affect my happiness. Their choices often interfere with me. They choose to stay up too late... I deal with a tired, cranky kid the next day. They choose to use their time stupidly... I get the whining & complaining they didn't get to do what they wanted. Somehow I need to figure out how to keep my composure & just say, "Sorry guys." and go on with my day. When I figure this all out I will pass it on... unfortunately I believe I will pass on before I figure it out. So... 1 small success to end the day. Painting makes Porter happy. We created a spot in the basement where he can paint til his heart's content. I cleaned out all my old craft stuff & anything down there that can be painted is his... hence the MANY painted treasures below! Now, where to put them all?

Porter's Painting corner...
making himself happy...

Comments

Popular Posts