Car Conversations

Casey/Mom

Someone on CBS said BYU could go to the elite eight. (pause) They have the 2nd best 3-point shooter Jimmer Fredette.

really? wow. did you change your picks?

yeah, I'm gonna be the only one to have BYU to the elite eight. I'll probably loose but it's just for fun. Dad's gonna pick Florida.

(Ryan has picked BYU to loose for as long as we have participated in the Geddes Bracket Challenge.)

No, Casey. Dad picked BYU this year. He always goes for the win, not the team.

I know. He doesn't care about teams, just winning (smiling & giggling).


The Girls:
Somehow they started discussing marriage & why women had to give up their name & take the man's. We talked about women not being able to own land, vote, etc. It's just a tradition. They asked if they could keep their name. Sure, or like Aunt Kathryn you aren't given a middle name then your last name becomes your middle name. (Kathryn Norton Geddes) They thought that was SO cool, "what a smart idea." Which is funny because I never thought twice about changing my name. I would rather have had a middle name. However, my views have changed a little. It started years ago as I heard one girl tell how sad it was to not be a "such & such" anymore. She loved growing up in her home & loved being who she was. All my girls have middle names. So, at some point they'll most likely give up their Geddes name. I hope they mourn the loss of their name at least a little bit. I hope being a Geddes brings them happy memories, love, kindness, belonging as well as a longing for family.

Comments

Popular Posts