"We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we’re doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the “thick of thin things.” In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes."

--Thomas S. Monson,, "What Have I Done for Someone Today?", Ensign, Nov. 2009, 84–87


I'm feeling a bit caught up in the "thick of thin things." Ryan and I have been discussing different activities for the kids. I find myself wanting some things but then stepping back a bit & realizing it just isn't for our family. I dreamt of sporting events, weeks at the beach, camps, etc. for our children. Yet, I find myself wanting them to learn different things. Samantha has the opportunity to babysit all summer for a family on our street. We discussed what she would be willing to commit. She decided on all 4 days. At first I was a bit hesitant, fearing she'd feel cheated of a fun leisure summer. Then I looked at the bigger picture. It gives her a great opportunity to earn money for college. It fills her days with a worthwhile service. She still has every weekend and all her evening for leisure activities. Casey is working for a neighbor. The other day he asked Casey, "Can I give you a raise?" It shows that he values Casey's help and is pleased with the work he does. It's such a blessing for Sam & Casey, opportunities so close to home to earn money. Samantha really wanted to go to EFY this year. Unfortunately, it conflicts with our stakes Youth Conference. However, she came to me and asked if I had any ideas of ways she could earn the money. It was so encouraging to hear her asking for help to earn the money instead of asking for us to pay her way. She's decided on selling pies. She'll sell them at Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, & maybe Thanksgiving. I love the young woman she is becoming. For so many years motherhood has been such a chore. I would find fleeting moments of joy but all too often SO much work. I believe I am venturing into the stage that those moments may be more often.

Comments

Popular Posts