We had a quick trip back to Ohio!  We left Thursday morning around 5:30AM.  A few hours into the trip our heater wouldn't shut off.  Isabelle & I were burning up!  We stopped, shut the car off for a few minutes then started it up again... the heater was still on.  I pulled a couple fuses out then put them back in hoping that would reset the darn thing... no such luck!  We drove on.  Within an hour kids needed a bathroom break.  We pulled into a rest stop.  While the kids ran in I pulled the fuse to the heater and left it out.  We got back on the road & were much more comfortable!  Everyone was spread out, Sam & Ryan stayed home.  At one point I looked back & everyone was sleeping.  It's nice having kids old enough that sleeping in the car is enjoyable, no longer a punishment!  We pulled into Zanesville after 12 hours in the car.  The kids were so happy to be with cousins & friends.  They played outside, roller hockey, explored, built forts by the creek, milked cows(at least held the cows tail!), watched soccer games, swam, ate and played some more.  It was wonderful to have a nice comfy bed to fall asleep in each night & good company.  I feel a little guilty each time we've been back there.  The kids are all farmed out & I get to sleep alone!  I'm not a morning person, vacation brings out my true nature... late nights & later mornings!  I look forward to the mornings when I get to sleep until 10:30AM!  Who knows if those will ever come... but I sure can hope!  We left just after sacrament meeting Sunday.  The trip home was a bit faster... 10 hours instead of 12!  Thanks to those flying cars from Indianapolis on through St. Louis!  We made 1 pit stop.  The kids have amazing bladders, made for traveling.  We pulled in just after 9PM.  Ryan was at work.  He's working a lot more nights.  I miss falling into bed with him.  Another reason to sleep until 10:30AM... I would actually get a little snuggle time!  As it is, I leave to take kids to school, he arrives 15 minutes later, falls into bed alone, then I return around 9AM to snoring.  

Sam is dealing with typical HS issues.  This morning as we drove to seminary the car was silent.  We aren't the most talkative pair!  As we arrived I expressed how sorry I was that things were the way they were but that I was proud of her for being who she is and doing the things she is doing.  I told her how much I loved her and wished her a great day.  I am so grateful she starts her day with seminary.  I think it's a place she is happy to be and she has an amazing teacher.  She enjoys being in her class and attending with friends.  

Sam & I went out tonight to put the chickens away.  The rooster pushed Goldilocks off the roost.  Casey came out and started shaking the roost... noway was that rooster going to bully Goldilocks.  We laughed as we talked about those crazy chickens.  I am not sure if I am cut out for animals.  I tend to think of them as people & worry about them.  We discussed what would come of Hawk (rooster) if he continued to bully.  Casey and Sam were both very quick to volunteer to "take care" of him!  

My goals... (where I am and what I need to do to be the kind of person I want to be!)
See the good in others, even if I have to pull out a magnifying glass and really search for it!  I will find something good!
Focus on my own faults & work on embracing and LIVING the golden rule.
Humble myself and accept life just the way it is.  Trust that He does have a plan & that I will learn the things I am to learn through this set of trials He has blessed me with.

Now if I can just get my imagination fired up and create the excitement in my heart to inspire me to work consistently towards them!

Gratitude Journal:
1.  Amazing people that have left footprints on my heart & soul!
2.  Friends that become family... family IS forever!
3.  Life, it creates such empathy & compassion in me.
4.  Trials that teach and guide.
5.  Time, with it comes wisdom.  Some from mistakes, some from friends, some through the gospel, a lot through tears, a bit with anger but always in time.   

Comments

Ben and Laurie said…
Samantha is really blessed to have the parents and family she does. It is hard to watch this refiner's fire she is going through, but if it helps her become even stronger--and she has you and Ryan to help her through it--it's worth it. I love watching your family's experiences. You care so much.

Popular Posts