du·ty

noun, plural -ties.
1.
something that one is expected or required to do by moralor legal obligation.
2.
the binding or obligatory force of something that is morally or legally right; moral or legal obligation.
3.
an action or task required by a person's position oroccupation; function: the duties of a clergyman.
4.
the respectful and obedient conduct due a parent, superior,elder, etc.
5.
an act or expression of respect.


Recently I have felt as though I am doing a lot of things out of duty.  That isn't a bad thing, especially if I should be doing them.  However, as I thought more I realized I was hiding behind that word.  When I do things out of duty there is no emotion connected with it.  I don't get hurt when I do something out of duty.  There are no expectations, I just do it because I should.  As I thought more about it I realized most of what I do actually stems from love.  I include others out of love, I would hate for someone to feel left out or alone.  I have activities in hopes of building unity and love.  However, as those things haven't gone as planned I think I run to the duty part.  It just doesn't hurt as much.  I realized it with Ryan's dad this week.  I was having a silent conversation in my head with Ryan.  I was discussing how I do the things for Wilford because I love Ryan.  And that I wouldn't do the same thing for just anyone.  Then I thought about that and realized I probably would.  I would never want anyone to feel alone or lonely.  It's interesting how life works.  It's interesting how I learn things about myself.  I love seeing Wilford get excited to go to his silver sneakers class.  Or when he starts teasing the kids and puts ice down Casey's shirt.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve him out of love.  I am grateful I am slowly learning to love my fellowman.  I am grateful for the blessings that come from having an aged parent live in our home and become a part of our family.  

Comments

Ben and Laurie said…
It helps that he has a fun sense of humor too.

Thanks for writing this post.

Popular Posts