"How is Christmas regarded today? The legend of Santa Claus, the Christmas tree, the decorations of tinsel and mistletoe, and the giving of gifts all express to us the spirit of the day we celebrate; but the true spirit of Christmas lies much deeper than these. It is found in the life of the Savior, in the principles He taught, in His atoning sacrifice--which become our great heritage."
--Howard W. Hunter, "The Real Christmas"


This was the perfect quote today.  Last night Victoria was going on and on about how we don't have any decorations, "Why don't we get lights on our house?  Everybody else has lights!  Olivia has lights!  I want lights on our house!"  All in a very loud crying voice.  Some would say she was distraught!  I say she is spoiled.  My simple reply was, "Victoria, there weren't any Christmas lights on the stable.  Do you know what lights they had when Jesus was born?"  She answered a very pouty, "No."  I answered, "The stars in the sky.  We have stars above our house just like that Christmas night Jesus was born."  Obviously, she was not satisfied with that response... she wants light and she wants them now!  I feel myself becoming more of a Ba Humbug each passing year.  There are so many things planned for this time of year.  All the school concerts, parties, church activities, etc.  Sometimes I wish we could put away all the things that make December so crazy and hectic.  So long ago in that quiet stable Christmas began... a simple, quiet, peaceful, wonderful night!  Why can't December feel like that?  Isn't that what Christmas is about?

Comments

Ben and Laurie said…
I like the answer you gave to Victoria. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to boycott all the extras and keep the traditions that mean the most to our family. It's the expectations that get me...
Anonymous said…
I love what you said about the stars! I was showing Jack the stars in the sky last night----brought back lots of memories. We love you guys---Merry Christmas!

Popular Posts