Thoughts from my run today...

People come into your life just when they are needed.  Sometimes it seems as if they leave too soon but in hindsight it's always when the time is right.  

I came up with a list of "My People"...

Tara was my best friend from church.  We endured girls camp together and she covered for me when I played mean jokes on the "rich" girls in our stake.  She was a year younger but just who I needed through out those weird, awkward HS years.

Mark was my HS boyfriend.  He cheated on me so many times I lost count!  I also lost count of the dozens of "I'm sorry" roses.  But he never pressured me and respected what I believed.  There wasn't a better guy for me to spend 2+ years with during THOSE years.  I ran into him 2 years ago at my mom's.  I was surprised at the feelings I felt.  A small part of my heart will always love the person he was for me during those really hard years.  He broke my heart over and over yet loved me better, in the ways that counted, than any other HS boy could.

Kristen was my college neighbor freshman year then roommate for the next couple years.  She was from McLean Virginia, worked at Liz Clayborn, painted her toenails, drove a Honda, listened to REM & Yaz, and her dad worked for the CIA.  I was from Tampico, IL population 800, detasseled corn & employed by Walmart, didn't have a car, and listened to AC/DC, Aerosmith, VanHalen and Heart, and my dad was a steel mill worker.  You couldn't find people from 2 totally different walks of life.  She was my best friend. We laughed & cried our way through BYU together.  She was just the right person during that time.  

Phil taught me how to be me and really love.  He opened my heart.  He taught me how it felt to be loved, truly, deeply loved.  He also made me chose... love or the gospel.  It's the first time I really had to decide if what I believed was true.  It's the first time I read the Book of Mormon in it's entirety.  It's the first time my testimony had to stand on it's own.  It's the first time I nursed a truly broken heart.  He left too soon or so I thought...

Ryan... the love of my life, soul-mate, best friend, eternal companion.  I think of them all, eternal companion is my favorite.  He is there no matter what, no matter the mood, no matter the emotions.  I know he will stick it out no matter the cost.  We are together forever, for the good, the bad and the ugly!  And believe me, there has been ugly!  

Penny was in Buffalo, NY.  She was a feisty east coast gal.  But sweet as sugar.  I would never have made it through the residency years without her.  I talked with her and spent more time with her than Ryan.  He was always gone.  She is talented, kind, strong and I still love her accent.  

Carol knew when I was at my wits end when everyone else bought the "I'm good."  She was cold and hard on the outside but kind and gentle inside.  She saw me cry more than anyone else.  KY was full of hard lonely years.  She made them bearable.

Kandi was fresh and loud, in a good way!  I never had to guess what she was thinking.  She just said it.  She judged me at first as a poor white trash kind of gal until she realized Ryan was a doctor (then I think it was rich white trash:).  We still laugh about her first impression of us!  Sam points to the hospital and says, "My dad works there."  Kandi thinks, "Yeah, as the janitor!"  We drove a really crappy van and I've never been the best dressed girl.  Who could blame her?  She is an amazing person!  I will love her forever.  

The Bauserman's gave me someone to love and serve.  The kids filled my empty bucket.  Ty put a smile on my face, a rare thing those days.  They are a family that touches your heart and leaves it's mark forever.

Melanie is kind and refreshing.  Spunky and sweet.  She is fun.  She has amazing talents and I learned a TON from watching her.  

Now in Missouri there are new "people".  They touch my heart in ways they don't realize.  I'm not the best at expressing my feelings.  I tend to think people should just know how I feel and be good.  So if I send a text that says your amazing, take it as a lot more that those simple words.  Take it as you've touched my heart and your one of "my people" Heavenly Father put in my life at just the right time.  

Comments

Ben and Laurie said…
I was thinking about your post today and how much the "my people" lists show Heavenly Father's hand in our lives. Those people were always there to help us through the most painful or life changing lessons. They also were the ones who made life sweeter and more meaningful.

As I was talking about some of those hard lessons with my sister this morning I realized how your name kept coming up and finally I just said, "You need a Jonnette in your life!". Thanks for being one of my people.

Popular Posts