Kristy,

I'm not sure if this is going to get to you or not.  I hope you are surviving residency!!!  We are surviving Missouri.  It hasn't panned out to be what we thought but... come what may and love it, right?!  As for your questions...

The kids do practice in the summer.  We have a really busy fall schedule with cross country so they usually take it easy during that time.  I have them read during the summer but not much else as far as school goes.  I'm a list person so I have a list for my kids to do each day.  I found these cute little clipboards I attach the list to and they hang in our office.  I tend to tell the kids, "first things first!" a lot.  The first thing on their list is prayer then scriptures.  I attached the lists.  They are pretty simple but I find if I add too much they get overwhelmed.  

Our summer schedule is really simple: early to bed, early to rise.  The kids(Sam 17, Casey 15, Rebekah 14, Isabelle 13) run at 5:30AM or 6AM everyday Monday-Saturday during the summer.  Porter 11 & Victoria 9 are up around 6:30 or 7AM.  We read scriptures when everyone gets back from running.  Then we all eat and tidy up.  Evenings are super simple.  We eat dinner around 5:30/6PM.  Everyone helps tidy up then we play a game or if it's Monday night (after FHE) we watch America's Next Ninja Warrior :-)  Lights tend to be out around 9PM.  It's kind of funny, our chickens are what keeps us up later than we'd like.  They don't go in until it's dark!!

This year I am homeschooling Porter and Victoria.  Life is crazy and they were struggling in the evenings.  I think it's hard being the little kids.  They have a couple extra moms and dads.  Academically they are at the top of their classes however, they need more of me and the only time I have more of me is when they are in school.  I'm hoping it builds them and they feel more important in our family.  We'll see how that goes.  

What I've learned is that not everything works for everyone.  And not everything that does work is for everybody.  The Lord knows best for each of these little spirits that come into our homes.  He does guide and inspire as I seek His help.  I will forever tell anyone that asks.... Motherhood is the hardest thing I've ever done!!!  It stretches me like nothing else.  The Lord uses it to teach me lessons I wouldn't learn any other way.  I'm not sure why it has to be so hard, I just know for me it is.  I LOVE my kids.  Family is my everything.  I think that is why it seems so hard.  I have this ideal family in my head and we are so far from that.  We have fighting and crying and kids that are selfish and moody.  But I'm learning that the family is where these sweet kids learn to overcome some of those natural man tendencies.  It is in our homes they learn to become compassionate, kind, understanding, patient.  Without those squabbles and hurt feelings there would be little chance for growth.  As they learn those things within the home they are able to use those abilities at school, church, etc.  I guess what I am saying is I am starting to see why the Lord does things the way He does in a family.  

I hope you are doing well and Mississippi is wonderful!

Jonnette

Comments

Kristy said…
Jonnette,

Thanks so much. Tracy is gone so much and managing everything on my own is a trick... I don't know anyone here in Mississippi that is LDS and raising kids while following a health care path.

Residency is brutal sometimes :) We have 2 more years before fellowship... (sigh) I don't think it gets much easier after residency though from what I gather from you! However,, you are so organized and your home always seem to run like a well oiled machine that I am betting if I tried getting my act together more it might make things a bit easier here. :)

I am trying to learn how to gain things from those lessons... Many times I just feel like they break me down and show me how pathetic I really am!!!

You all are so awesome - I miss teaching your kids piano - they worked so hard and were really good! - thanks for writing a good blog... I admit I read it from time to time cuz when I grow up I want to be like you someday... :)

Take care and thanks again so much.. I really like the charts too - they will really help - I started a chart today and used some of the ideas from that.

Thank you

Popular Posts