It’s been a whirlwind week and a half. Casey returned home from his mission Tuesday, September 11th.  We enjoyed a tumultuous week together as the stresses of life piled on. Sam, Phil, and Rebekah flew home missing 3 days of classes; Izy had 4 days of tennis due to the previous week's poor weather and homework galore; adjusting to life for Casey came in waves of differing emotions; Ryan and I hit a really rough patch and so the week unfolded. I forgot to mention Rebekah went through the Temple. Sunday arrived, and Casey gave a beautiful, heartfelt talk. Porter, Casey and I packed up the car and drove off at 5pm heading to BYU.  Sam, Phil, and Rebekah finally departed KC after a number of flight delays at 8pm.  We drove through the night arriving at 7:30am in Provo. 

We unloaded the car and set Casey’s room up the best we could. He was able to take a nap and make all of his classes. It was a bit stressful, starting out 2 weeks behind. I ran to SLC and picked up his computer. He got to work quickly and started making progress. It was a bumpy first few days. His emotions were running high, but he was trying his best to keep them under control. The week consisted of never-ending errands, appointments, to do lists and family time. It wasn’t nearly as enjoyable as getting the girls ready for school. We were trying to do all of it while Casey was trying to catch up as well as Sam, Phil, and Rebekah trying to catch up. 

The highlights were:
Eating breakfast with Porter at Magleby’s
Driving to Park City to meet the Palmer’s with Casey
Staying and talking with Sam and Phil
Rebekah opening her mission call, she’s going to the Dominican Republic.
Countless close encounters with pedestrians😳
Watching everyone climb together and laughing. 

I love our kids. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. At times it is overwhelming being their mom. The lessons God is teaching them are beyond my abilities to guide them through. I feel quite unqualified. 

During one of Casey and my conversations, we were talking about trusting God. He said, “I know, I told myself I had already learned that lesson, to trust God, on my mission.” We were talking about school and being behind. God always has a plan. It just might not always be what we planned or desired no matter how good those desires are. I love those talks with Casey. They are so real and fulfilling. He lets me inside his heart!  

Rebekah is one of a kind! (They all are😉) She has the most contagious smile! She has endured years of heart-wrenching private trials. Trials that consisted of daily tears and hurt. Yet through them all, she continued to wear that bright, contagious smile.

Porter has begun to open his heart to me. He is a fabulous kid with a heart of gold. I hope we can grow together these next couple years. I love watching him in his element... rock climbing! He is talented and dedicated. He his a gentleman in the making. 

Samantha... I could not have asked for a better first! She is a fantastic oldest sister. She loves her sibling with such goodness!! She is their number one fan. I look forward to watching her grow into the role of mother. I am confident she will be amazing (when the time comes)!

Phil has become a brother, a fantastic one. I love how he cares for Samantha! The way he comforts her is beyond endearing. He is a fabulous addition to our family. 


Spending the week with these five was emotionally demanding yet rewarding. I’m flying home now, missing them.

Comments

Popular Posts