Day 356

We are buying a condo in Ogden. The thought was born out of the realization we would throw $60,000 away in rent over the next 6 years. I started looking at real estate near Weber State. I found a few potential places. I asked Ryan what he thought. Initially he wasn’t to fond of the idea. I pitched it to the kids with the thought of them combining funds for the down payment and then having an investment between the six of them. As we discussed the reality of what would transpire over the next few years Ryan began to contemplate the idea. At first he assumed we would buy it and the kids live there rent free. I explained the kids would pay the mortgage as rent. I was able to look at a few options over Thanksgiving and found a real possibility. We talked and I thought I explained things well. However, contention arose and Ryan decided it wasn’t the right time. Learning about the market and understanding the likelihood of another place like this coming on the market was slim I shared the opportunity with two of my sisters. Ryan was not happy with the thought of paying rent to my sisters. So, we moved forward and put an offer in. They accepted it and I’ve been doing paperwork since. Tonight I was finishing up the last requests from the underwriter. As we were getting ready for bed Ryan said, “thanks for taking care of all that.” It was difficult for me to accept his words of appreciation when the process has been so difficult. I came up with this way that we will save so much money and end up with a solid investment yet somehow along the way I became the bad guy. So I said, “It’s difficult for me to accept your words of gratitude when it’s been such a difficult process.” He got defensive and threw a few words back at me. I reminded myself that it was okay to have a hard time hearing his words. That I didn’t need him to validate my feelings. I’m not sure how all this will work out but I am choosing each day to show up, have integrity and choose him. Today that looked like me owning my emotions and expressing them. 

Comments

Popular Posts