Bentonville, AR

Two weeks ago my world flipped upside down, quite literally. We were mountain biking in Bentonville, AR. If you love biking and haven’t been, you’ve got to go. It is beautiful, fun and amazing! It was our last run of the weekend and I hit a raised rollercoaster. Unfortunately, I didn’t ride it to the end. I crashed, big time, flying through the air over my bike onto my head causing a burst fracture. My C1 vertebrae is in a number of pieces. I had my first ambulance ride, helicopter flight, and a three day hospital stay(and didn’t bring home a new baby😉) Getting the pain under control was an adventure. One that I would not like to repeat. The cool thing through this all was how our children responded. I tend to spoil our kids, I still wake them up in the mornings with a kiss and “Good morning, time to get up.” Pack their lunches and cook them breakfast. I love them and it makes me happy caring for them this way. However, after my accident no one was late for work, forgot a lunch or didn’t eat breakfast. They are capable kids that continue to take care of themselves while bringing me breakfast in bed, brushing and braiding my hair, and making sure I have my meds before they leave for work. They slept in bed with me the first few nights home waking every two hours to make sure I took my pain meds. They helped me walk laps in the hospital, washed my hair, and helped me to the bathroom. They held my hand, told me I was ok and reminded me to just breathe as I laid on the ground hurt and scared. I could hear them breathe in and out for me the way I had coached them so many times. I am beyond grateful for these sweet, crazy, mischievous kids of ours. They make my life a never ending joyful adventure.






Comments

Popular Posts